Dinner inspiration: homemade tomato sauce and turkey flaxseed meatballs served over spaghetti squash. Enjoy!
I love using spaghetti squash as lower carb alternative to pasta for dinner recipes. It tastes amazing if you add a little seasoning to it. I decided to make my own sauce tonight instead of using store bought and the husband gave it two thumbs up. If you need something quick choose a spaghetti sauce with no sugar added.
1 medium size spaghetti squash
2 tbs olive or grape seed oil
1/2 cup white onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic
2 cups of tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used vine)
1/4 cup basil leaves finely cut
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tps of salt
1 tps pepper
Optional red pepper flakes if you like some spice
1 lb lean ground turkey
3 tbs of ground flaxseed
3 tbs water
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tps of dried parsley
1 tbs of Italian seasoning
1 tps of dried basil or 1 tbs fresh basil chopped
1/2 tps of salt
1/4 tps of pepper
1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and season with salt and pepper.
2. Bake squash at 425 degrees for 45-50 min or until fork tender.
3. Allow to cool for 10-15 min then scrape insides with fork which will look like pasta.
1. Boil water and cut an x at the bottom of each tomato. Boil for 30 sec then rinse in cold water to remove the skin. Dice up after cooled.
2. In medium sauce pan, heat up the oil. Saute onions until brown and add the garlic.
3. Add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes
4. Lower heat and cook for 15 min
1. Mix all ingredients together using your hands or mixer. Form 1 inch balls.
2. Heat up pan with oil and add meatballs.
3. Cook 3-4 min on each side until browned