I have been having a little love affair with avocados lately and these avocado stuffed turkey meatballs were just heaven and the hubs agrees of course. Served them with a side of parm garlic herb cauliflower mash (recipe also below) and a side salad. Perfect combo of lean protein, healthy fat and low carbs. Enjoy!
Turkey meatball ingredients (serving size 2 meatballs):
– 20 oz lean ground turkey (I use 93%)
– 1 avocado scooped and slided into 10 evenly diced cubes
– 1/4 egg whites
– 1/3 cup dry oats
– 1/4 cup chopped celery
– 2TB onion powder
– 1 tps garlic powder
– 1 tps dried oregano
– 1 tps poultry seasoning
– 1/2 tps black pepper
– 1/2 tps salt
Parm garlic herb cauliflower mash:
– 1 head of cauliflower
– 4 garlic cloves
– 1/4 original almond milk
– 1/4 plain greek yogurt or reduced fat sour cream
– 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
– 1/4 tps salt
– 1/4 tps black pepper
Directions for the meatballs:
1. Coat a cookie sheet with non stick spray
2. In a food processor combine the turkey, oats, egg whites, celery, onion, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, oregano and 2 cubes of avocado and blend until smooth.
3. With a spoon, scoop out 8 portions onto the cookie sheet then flatten the turkey with the spoon to create a place for 1 cube of avocado.
4. Wrap and pinch the sides to cover the avocado then roll into a ball shape.
4. Turn a large pan on medium high and cook meatballs for 8-10 min on one side then turn and cook another 6-8 min until cooked through.
Directions for the cauliflower mash:
1. Add cauliflower and garli to pan with water or chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10-12 min until fork tender.
2. Drain and cool cauliflower and garlic
3. Transfer them to a blender and add the greek yogurt or sour cream, almond milk, cheese and salt/pepper. Blend until smooth.
4. Spoon into a coated 1qt baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 min.